Minku, founded in 2011, specializes in leather bags, luggage, and notebooks for men and women.
Minku founder Kunmi was on a computer science research and consultancy journey when she rediscovered her love for making things by hand.
Born in Lagos, Nigeria, she holds a masters degree in computer science from Virginia Tech (2007) and graduated summa cum laude with a computer science bachelors degree from Howard University in 2005. A teaching assistant while at Virginia Tech, she also worked as an information architect/user experience designer upon graduation. Prior to these, she attended high school at Queen’s College, Lagos. There, she won the fine art prize every year.
Minku items are characterized by their subtle use of cultural elements of Nigerian life, resulting in a fresh sub-Saharan aesthetic with transcontinental appeal.
The Minku philosophy:
- There lies a unique beauty in things painstakingly handmade.
- Repurpose, reuse, and reduce waste (80% of Minku bag interiors are lined with repurposed items of Yoruba ceremonial dress - aso-oke and damask fabrics).
- Personalized design over masstige whenever possible.
The typical Minku loyalist:
- has a strong ability to respond with appreciation and excitement to everyday items made in an unusual way.
- appreciates the functionality of a well-made bag.